Monday 9 March 2009

Janie Pirie becomes a member of the Society of Botanical Artists

UKCPS member Janie Pirie recently contacted us with some excellent news.
"Yesterday I heard that I have been accepted as a full member of the Society of Botanical Artists. Last June I was awarded a Silver-Gilt medal by the RHS for my work. Most botanical artists use watercolour so it is quite unusual to have someone work in pencils. Ann Swan was the encouragement – we are now good friends."
Sweetcorn by Janie Pirie
coloured pencil
copyright the artist

The above image is one of the five drawings that will be on display for the first time at the Society of Botanical Artists' Annual Open Exhibition in April at Central Hall, Westminster in London. It's also one of the five drawings that earned Janie her full membership of the SBA. Janie also says: "...needless to say, they look much better ‘in the flesh’!"

You can see more of Janie's botanical art in coloured pencils on her website.

Janie runs a variety of workshops at her garden studio every Wednesday & Thursday as well as visiting art groups. She also runs workshops at The Beth Chatto Gardens and next month will be holding a 3-day course at Cambridge University Botanic Gardens.

The Society of Botanical Artists Annual Exhibition

The exhibition runs from 4 April to Sunday 3 May 2009 and is open daily from 10am to 5pm including Sundays. Admission is free and all work is for sale.

Details of how to become an Associate Member and how to exhibit with the Society of Botanical Artists is available on the SBA website. It's worth noting that last year's exhibition had more work in coloured pencil than I've seen in previous years.

I've also had two coloured pencil drawings accepted into the same exhibition! I guess there are probably other UKCPS members who have also had work accepted. If so can you please let me know by leaving a comment below or emailing me (see the side column) and I'll look out for your work when I visit the exhibition.

1 comment:

suessketchblog said...

Congratulations to Janie, this is so well deserved. I have booked a place on the course at the Botanic Gardens in Cambridge - I can't wait!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails